Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Elementary

The longer you do something, the less useful the beginner steps seem. It's the reverse of the beginner problem, but is just that-- a problem.

As I learn new skills, like hooping, I get frustrated just like everyone else. I think, "I wanna do the most amazing thing RIGHT NOW."

If I could do it right now, it wouldn't be amazing.

What is amazing is being able to learn the blocks it's built with, and then stack them into a very high tower.

If beginners could do it right out of the gate, it wouldn't be impressive.

Jumping to something "difficult" when you don't have a base is like supergluing blocks to the wall. From a distance it looks like you're balancing them, but up close it's obvious you've cheated somehow.

This post isn't meant as "calling out" any performer in particular. It's just for me to remember that the little boring blocks aren't just needed, but beautiful.

Sometimes I watch myself dance and think, "Wow, my taxeem looks really pretty." And it does. But I so rarely use it in performance. I so rarely reeeaaaallllly slloooooowwwww it down to show off my flexibility there. It's an "easy" move for me. So I don't think about it, except as a building block or transition.

But it's pretty. Small things can be pretty.

Sometimes I find something that looks difficult but really isn't. Certain hooping moves were like that for me. Figuring out how to lift it over my head, for example, was figured out by just trying it.

How many people have tried it? Is that why it can look amazing, even though it's simple?
How many things have you thought of trying, but didn't?
What if you knew it wasn't going to be a struggle? Would you try it then?
Why should the process be a deterrent?
What would you do if you could try anything and not feel stupid?
Why do you feel stupid?
Who do you think is watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment